[pct-l] Bear Canisters, continued...

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:50:23 CST 2013

Most thrus seem to use the BV500 and have it shipped to Kennedy Meadows.  A
few will have it shipped to Agua Dulce or buy one in LA and fill it with
food and then ship it to Kennedy Meadows.  The BV500 is popular because of
the cost and the PCT special deal where it is shipped to Kennedy Meadows.
($65 I think).  Can buy online or at kickoff.

When I hiked someones BV500 had not arrived yet at KM but Bear Vault was
able to handle it by subsituting one that was for someone that wasn't
showing up for weeks.   The store at Kennedy Meadows seemed to have lots of
these waiting for pickup when I got there (June 10th ish), I'd guess at
least 50.  They had shipped them up there several in one package and the
store had a list of who had bough one.

Leaving KM you can have the first day or so's food outside the Canister,
that helps a lot.  Otherwise just send dense food to KM and smash and
push.  Try to pack the food in the order you think you will eat it.  Its a
challenge to repack those things until they start getting empty so don't
put your first meal on the bottom.

Day-Late