[pct-l] Etna - Medford

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 16:57:33 CST 2013

Hello Dan,

I was always impatient if I had to wait a long time for a bus - in cases like that hitching was faster.

Regarding Etna to Weed - I had left my horse in good care in Castella, then drove my rig north to park it at a ranch in Etna.
Since the wait for the bus was too long, I decided to hitch from the east end of Etna. Held up my bright orange PCT bandana that read "hiker to town" with a sign pined on saying "Weed". I was really lucky there - got a ride from a local who was going to Weed. His was the first car !   He dropped me off at the bus stop in Weed, where I had a short wait. Since the Greyhound refuses to stop at Castella (perhaps they do now, that was in 2008), I had to get off at Mt. Shasta and hitch on to Castella. Got that ride from an 18-wheeler, who was stopped for a break at the place from where I was hitching !  He had watched me with my thumb out, and a sign saying "Castella", for about 10 minutes then called me over and offered me a ride. He told me it was against the rules, but he didn't care. Once I was re-united with my horse in Castella, I saddled up and rode north to Etna.

MendoRider-Hiker