[pct-l] Fear of the dark response (regarding Grizzly Bears)

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 23:52:15 CST 2013

I was on a three day trip to Copper Ridge in North Cascades National park in October. One of my camps was close to a group of wildlife biologists from the Washington Department of Wildlife and Central Washington University. We were traveling very close to the Canadian border. The biologists were looking for signs of Grizzlys and employed a number of different research tools, like hair snags and trip cameras (I'm sure I didn't get that terminology right).

What they told me was that, sadly, there hasn't been any evidence of Grizzlys or sighting in the North Cascades for 3 years now. They agreed that there are probably a few out there, but they are very cautious and reclusive.

Apparently, the chances of actually running into a Griz in Washington are very slim. That may be good news to some of you.

Randy