[pct-l] Mt. Shasta and the Proto-PCT

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 20:02:07 CST 2013

> I understand that part of the originally-envisioned PCT plotted a route that went north from Burney Falls, over Mt. Shasta,
> and then across the plains to Pilot Rock. I thought it might be fun to hike it. Does anyone have a source of information on
> this route? Is it even hike-able?

Here's a start on your research on the alternate 'Shasta route'...
>From Clinton Clarke's 1945 "Pacific Crest Trailway": <http://pcttrailway.pctplanner.com/map07.html>...
>From near the current PCT mile 1460, the proposed route went North then up Ash Creek through Military Pass and on up
to Beswick, East of Copco Lake, then make its way towards Hyatt Lake and eventually Lake of the Woods - the southern
terminus of the older Oregon Skyline Trail...
It would now entail lots of 'road' walking - mostly dirt  forest, logging, four-wheel, ranch, etc. roads...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)