[pct-l] question re-fuel for Caldera Cone System Stove

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 17 06:20:14 CST 2013

Gideon,
	Generally speaking, alcohol is available in many places. The 12-10 stove only burns two types of fuel, though. Not counting wood, methanol (methyl alcohol or wood alcohol) and ethanol (ethyl alcohol or grain alcohol) are the only fuels it was designed to use. You can burn isopropynol, but it will burn sooty. In all cases, especially isopropynol, avoid breathing fumes. This is a standard warning with any stove.
	Yellow HEET, is usually found at garages, small general stores, wally world etc. This is methanol. The yellow bottles are small, between 10-12oz. But they are thick plastic and heavy for their volume. It takes three to fill my container, but there is a bit left over. It has a heat content of around 9500BTU/lb.
	Ethanol is drinking alcohol. However it must be quite pure to have good fuel content.  Because of federal taxes, this can get expensive, but works great. I would suggest a minimum of 150 proof, 75% ethanol, for fuel. Everclear is popular, there are other brands. You can often get this in hardware stores, liquor shops, etc. Sugars will build up soot in the stove, so use plain vodka, or other white lightnin'. In pure form it has 12000-13000BTU/lb.
	Another form of ethanol is available as denatured alcohol. This may be denatured with al sorts of other things, octane, benzene, acetone, and other poisons. Originally from denaturing grain alcohol, some comes from industrial processes that leave these trace compounds in it. Marketed as SLX or other denatured alcohol, check it for petroleum byproducts. They will burn sooty and do not burn well in the 12-10 stove. But, SLX is about 50/50 ethanol/methanol. This is great fuel. Only get that stuff that also says marine, chafing or cooking fuel. This is available in most hardware stores in quart cans. Also found in small general stores, too.
	For carrying these quantities, I carry a small, .75L (?) Platypus bottle. Generally, I pour the alcohol into the "fuel bladder" and often give away or toss the rest. Platy marketed these as "wine" bottles for camping and hold up well as fuel bottles. Both WG and Alcohol fuels can be stored in these. I bought 2, and filled one with WG. After a year, it was still good...I used the other during that time on the NFCT, a 740mi canoe trail across the Northeast and Canada. I got stuck buying a gallon of fuel about half way on the trip. This can happen, but I simply left it sitting on a park picnic table...somebody used it, I am sure.
	You cannot put auto gas in the 12-10. It will destroy the stove. A heavier version, lookup Brasslite, will burn auto gas without destroying itself. I would suggest getting one of the small ones to replace the 12-10. Most alcohol stoves burn about the same efficiency. It weighs a couple ounces more, but is VERY RUGGED compared to the 12-10 and has a simmer control. For those into light weight, you can adapt some foil as a simmer ring on the 12-10 the same way as on the Brasslite...same type of stove. In a pinch you can burn isopropynol or auto gas in it, though, both burn sooty. Make sure you leave the lid on your pot to avoid picking up the fumes. Better to use too little than too much. You can add a little and restart the burn. Be careful if you get stuck using any alternate fuels. I am guessing that resupply won't be much of a headache on the PCT though.
	My thoughts only . . .
		Jdm