[pct-l] SOBO Questions

Sevenon7th@yahoo.com sevenon7th at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 07:40:46 CST 2013

Hi Pockets...

I may be able to offer some insight.  In 2005, I hiked southbound on the PCT.   It was an incredibly low snow year in Washington State (not sure that the same applies this year... and it is early yet, we could still see significant snowfall before the end of the official "mountain winter" season here)  That being said, I left Canada on June 15.    On a normal snow year, that start date, would likely require snowshoes and gps navigation.

In southern California, many of the water caches were maintained and/or had some remaining water from the Northbound hoards. Some were empty.   So, from my perspective, if one is traveling southbound, treat the water caches like an unexpected gift.  Don't count on them.     Most trail angels were still hosting hikers when I went through (Saufley's and Andersons); although there were some others that were more geared toward the northbound hikers and not available in late fall.

It sounds like Mt. Ned has offered for the ice axe / orienteering training... that seems like a good option.  I used to teach mountaineering, and depending on where you are located, could be coerced into doing a one day training session if that does not work out for you.

Anyhoo.... hope this helps.  Happy Trails!
Splash