[pct-l] Music on the Trail and Rain Gear

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 07:59:44 CST 2013

Nathan,

Please accept my apologies for my comment re: cell phones on the trail. It
was needlessly snarky and judgmental, and I should never have posted it.

After posting it, I realized that it was just a shallow and narrow-minded
expression of my idealized vision of what the trail "should" or "could" be
(or at one time, perhaps, "was"), a vision in which cell phones and MP3
players and the like don't figure. But that's MY vision, and it certainly
doesn't have to be yours or anyone else's. I do like the idea of a truly
wild place, like to believe that such places may still exist, but I'm
dubious about my ability to survive them if they do. And clearly the PCT is
no longer that ... if it ever was. I don't know if such places exist
anymore. After all, as someone wisely pointed out on this forum some months
ago, as much as we may believe in the Leave No Trace philosophy, the trail
itself is, of course, a trace. I wouldn't be hiking it if it weren't. After
all, I'm not going off into uncharted territory in the backcountry in
Alaska, or the Congo. And I AM bringing my ULA Circuit and Platypus
Gravityworks filtration system, and doing most of my planning via Google
and the Interwebs....

So again, please accept my sincere apology for my comment. As they say, you
hike your hike, I'll hike mine....

-dz

--
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    --Buddhist proverb

Tel.: 512.293.9315
danielzellman at gmail.com
www.sunnatamassage.com