[pct-l] question re-fuel for Caldera Cone System Stove

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 19 19:26:46 CST 2013

HEET is just a gas line anti-freeze sold in gas stations. It's mostly
methanol. The other fuel for an alcohol stove is denatured alcohol,
sold in the paint department of hardware stores. It's also methanol.
The caldera cone will also use solid fuel called Esbit with a small
Esbit stove (which can be nothing more than the upturned bottom of a
Pepsi can). Esbits look like large sugar cubes. The military also
makes a solid cube that is blue and looks like a tiny urinal cake. I
don't like these types of solid fuels as much because they leave
black sticky stuff on your pot. Other than alcohol and esbit, that's
the only fuel I know of being used with the cone. I suppose you could
make a tiny little stick fire inside the cone, but it would be a pain
to feed the sticks in.

The cone is not amazing so much as it's a lot better than all the
wacky homemade things people end up making for pot stands. Plus it
conserves the heat better than wind screens. Kind of a two-in-one deal.