[pct-l] Music on the Trail and Rain Gear

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 19 19:50:03 CST 2013

I hiked the trail alone. I also really like words. I found that I
automatically spent many hours composing and trying to remember
perfect little phrases that accurately captured my experiences on the
trail. I would write these in a paper and pencil journal at night and
in towns post these journals, or excerpts, online. I found that I was
sometimes lonely, but narrating my adventure as I went was a way of
talking to my loved ones and sharing the experiences as I had them
and feeling less alone. At the same time, I wouldn't have wanted to
experience the trail any other way than totally alone. The solitude
was a major part of the experience. I always thought how much I
wanted Trailhacker to experience what I did, alone like I did. I
wanted him to be here alone like me to know what I saw. I also found
that at times my resolve flagged and I wanted to go home. Knowing I
had online "fans" cheering me on kept me going. There were lots of
experiences I had that made me realize that my hike was not only just
for me. Knowing strangers were following my story was one of them,
but there were others. I had to keep going because my hike was not
only about me, but about how my experience was kindling dreams that
other people had for themselves. That thought put all my petty
whining and complaining into perspective, at least when I was
clearheaded enough to think about it.