[pct-l] 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop vs desert plants

Mike Rumsey mikerumsey51 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:07:58 CST 2013

I'm making nylon shell pants and a jacket for use on the PCT.  If I use
1.1oz ripstop will it get shredded beyond usable by desert plants? I don't
mind an occasional duct tape sewing project.  Can mosquitoes bite through
it?

Also, have any of you traveled without waterproof gear?  I've done some
hiking in the rain using GoreTex and it's pretty miserable.  It seems like
you end up wet while hiking no matter what you wear.  I was planning on
just bringing the nylon shells, thermals and an umbrella.  I'd bring
perhaps a down vest for hanging around camp.  It this a reasonable idea?

- Mike