[pct-l] 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop vs desert plants

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 20 22:24:20 CST 2013

In Southern California, when it is raining it is usually fairly cold.
Not hot and humid like the AT. You can be fairly comfortable in
lightweight waterproof rain gear. I wore thin silnylon "full moon"
rain chaps and was sometimes too warm so I just wore shorts
underneath and pulled the chaps up to my knees and let the lower part
of my legs get wet. When it was really cold, then I kept my lower
legs covered.

I never could tell what was the difference between having wet
silnylon against my skin and having wet skin. It all felt the same.
What made all the difference was having something dry to sleep in.
Since I slept in my clothes, having rain chaps was helpful. I don't
think goretex rain gear would be necessary and you probably would get
too hot in them. I've lived in So Cal all my life and never used
goretex.

The trail isn't choked with scratchy chaparral very much. You should
be okay. Bring some duck tape just in case.