[pct-l] Fwd: Lone Pine to PCT logistics

stonedancer1 at aol.com stonedancer1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 10:40:30 CST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: stonedancer1 <stonedancer1 at aol.com>
To: laurenegert <laurenegert at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Lone Pine to PCT logistics

Hi, Baby Sister.  Lone Pine is located right on Hwy 395, with regional bus service which you can check out online.  However, the PCT is rather a distance and a height above Lone Pine.  Whitney Portal approach is a killer climb and highly regulated.  Better to consider the 3 passes just to the south, all trailheaded at Horseshoe Meadow, namely New Army Pass, Cottonwood Pass and Trail Pass. You'll have to hitch up the hill from Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadow.  It's a narrow old switchback road.  But then you've gained a lot of the elevation to reach the PCT.

For more detailed information, make sure you check out Yogi's PCT Handbook!  It's the best for these access logistics.

Stone Dancer