[pct-l] Food Bar Calorie Densities Compared

John Poppe jbpoppe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:33:23 CST 2013

Great breakdown. I think it is also important to consider the calorie source, sugars, fats, and complex carbohydrates. My experience on long hikes indicates fats and complex carbohydrates provide a better fuel than sugars.  Many hikers use sugars with impunity as a fuel only to find they have ravaged their body and face a deep exhaustion, this probably will occur somewhere in Oregon. Consider higher proteins and fats for the long run. Something like 35% fat, 15% protein, 50% complex carbs.

Hike strong

Grey Wolf