[pct-l] Sierra and SoCal snow comparisons

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 13:44:50 CST 2013

Southern California precipitation totals are 50 - 70% below normal at this
time.

I was on the trail in 2005 and 2006. I hiked WA-OR in 2005 and my
recollection was that there was a heavy snowpack in the Sierra which caused
many thru-hikers to flip over the Sierra. I hiked CA in 2006 and the
snowpack wasn't as bad. This shows the problems with trying to estimate
hiking conditions based on the water surveys.

>> Some examples - 2005 and 2006 will very similar in the Sierra,

Snap