[pct-l] Bearvault Rentals

surferskir at aol.com surferskir at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 12:29:38 CST 2013

Here is an idea, if it works out logistically for you.
Most of the USFS and NPS offices in the bear area of the Sierras rent bear canisters by the week for a nominal charge (I think about $7 for the week, plus a returnable deposit).  These are the type that require a coin or screwdriver to open/close.
If your travels to San Diego (assuming you are starting there) has you passing through any of these areas (Bishop, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, etc., then stop off and rent one.  Mail it to Kenedy Meadows, and drop it off somewhere up north of Yosemite.  You might find soemone going to town that would drop it off for you, or agree to mailit for you back to the renting office..
I have my own Bear Vault, but many times my brother and his friends have rented them. I have found them in the NPS office, north entrance to Yosemite.  USFS office Groveland, Mammoth Lakes, Bridgeport, Bishop.  There is a nPS office where you get your permits in Tuolomne Meadows,about a mile east of the store/post office, maybe they have them.  There are probalby others.  Get on the net and make a few calls.

--Dennis--