[pct-l] Golite jam 50

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:00:07 CST 2013

I used the Golite 50 pack on my successful 2010 thru and was happy with the performance.  Some stitches failed holding the strap on the last hour of hiking into Manning Park... but it still worked.  The pack had a few hundred miles before the 2650+ mile thru hike.  I was happy enough to purchase the same pack again for my successful 2012 thru-hike, this time I didn't have any stitches fail on this hike.
For the cost of a golite pack and the weight it is hard to beat, especially if you get this pack on sale.  However, if you overload this pack you will not be happy.  It does not have a frame except for some thin padding.  I used my sleeping pad (Z rest) for additional support inside and that helped. A bear can fits vertical within the pack, this also adds additional support and helps the pack from folding. I didn't really have issues with loading unless I put in over 30+ pounds.  My heaviest total pack weight was about 35 pounds going into the Sierras,  and it wasn't too bad because I quickly consumed food bringing the weight down.  If your total pack weight  (water+food+stuff) is going to be consistently above 30 pounds I wouldn't recommend this pack.
Paul
hikethru.com