[pct-l] backpacks

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:05:59 CST 2013

I've used an Osprey forever (and by that I mean since about 2006), and
while I liked certain features on it (all the pockets etc), I found that I
started to dislike the back trampoline thing, since I felt that it reduced
 and displaced the interior of the pack a little bit. Also, I don't sweat
really (it's freakish), and found it was kind of a waste anyways.

I've since switched to the Gossamer Gear Mariposa and am loving it so far!

Though, as we were talking about in a thread a few weeks ago, I'm unsure
about how the Mariposa will handle extra water + bear canister where those
are required. However, I will say, that a friend of mine just completed
hiking the length of South America (yes, from the south tip of Patagonia
all the way north) and she used the Mariposa the whole time and had no
issues. As someone pointed out (maybe Chuck?) the 35lb max limit might be
more of a suggestion. I found that while I was welllllll under that mark,
after carrying 2 gallons of water I probably easily reached that mark or
more....

Good luck with your search! Finding a backpack is a really fun experience,
I wish I could try them all (but that would be expensive).

Cheers,
Lindsey