[pct-l] Dried meats and Cheese on Trail

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 09:18:26 CST 2013

Following Shroomer is like following the Beatles, but here's an option for folks who don't have (or don't want) a dehydrator - or don't have room for one in a small apartment or dorm room .  Freeze-dried foods (meats, veggies, fruits, and cheeses) can be bought in large #10 cans or smaller cans.  A wide variety of choices are available.

I've used them on an  AT thru-hike and on 3 long PCT sections (the first with Shroomer, who taught me a little of how to enjoy wild plants for food).  I mix up packs of a meat,  veggies,  a cheese, and seasoning (e.g., bouillion powder, red pepper, herbs & spices, dried  onion & garlic powder, gravy mix )  ahead of time, in a ziplock - no vac uum sealing required.  Then on the trail, I mix with a starch like refried bean mix, instant potatoes, cous-cous, etc.  Like Shroomer, I don't cook anymore.  I add cold water at one meal, hike, then stop for the next meal, with the food rehydrated.  Sometimes I had to add a little more water, but the basic rehydration was complete.  One warning - I would not add the cheese ahead of time - I found it gummed up the container while rehydrating, using hot or cold water.  I would mix the cheese in last or just eat it separately while hiking.

F-d fruits go great with granola and Nido for breakfast.  I add water when I fi rst wake up, then start packing.  In a few minutes, breakfast is ready.  They also go well mixed with peanut butter powder and honey crystals (rehydrate while walking) or just snacked on along the trail.

If you're LDS, you probably have this already, but here's a link to one supplier.  There are others, but I prefer this one.  This link is for the meats, but you can navigate around the site to find veggies, fruits, etc.

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_66_A_name_E_Freeze%20Dried%20Meats .  You can also buy f-d meals (spaghetti, etc.) in bulk cans, but I haven't tried them.

The main drawback to f-d over dehydrated is cost.  F-d foods are expensive, but I wonder if they're really that much more expensive when the cost of power, dehydrator depreciation, and personal time are included.  If you can afford it and are lazy (like me), freeze-dried staples are a great option .  They also last longer than dehydrated, in my exper ience.  I am still eating meals (with cheese, no less) that were packed up three years ago, with no questionable smells or taste.

Mango