[pct-l] Dried meats and Cheese on Trail

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:19:27 CST 2013

Thanks for the great info, Shroomer!  I was especially interested in your
meat alternatives to ground beef or chicken and the effective shelf life of
dried food.  As we gear up for our hike this year I've been debating
whether or not to freeze the meals I produce and based on your experience I
think I will.  Luckily with it being winter in the great white North our
porch is effectively a walk-in freezer.  I also appreciate your experience
on rehydrating without a stove - we use the boil-and-steep method now but
I've been curious about doing it without heat to save on fuel and cleanup.
I read your CDT journal with great interest this year and loved your idea
about making yogurt.  How did you culture your milk every morning?  Did you
just save a small amount from the previous day and use it as your starter?

One of my favorite meat options (assuming one is not opposed to processed
foods) is lean deli ham.  I would buy the pre-sliced blister packs, cut the
meat into wide strips and dry them until brittle.  If I had the time when
they were done I would wipe them with a paper towel to remove the small
amount of fat that came to the surface.  These were great both as a salty
snack and as a meal addition.  Crumbled ham in dried sweet potato leather
makes a tasty quick meal.