[pct-l] Successful Thruhike with Dog

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:41:52 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Jackie McDonnell <yogihikes at gmail.com> wrote:

> The GREAT thing about thru-hiking with a dog is that it can carry your gun,
> your bear canister, and your water through the desert.

While I can totally see your tongue almost breaking through your
cheek, your point is valid. However, an animal can be conditioned for
this kind of thing just as a human can. After all, are we humans not
animals as well?

There are precautions that need to be taken, and one must take into
consideration that the animal will not be able to communicate to you
any problems, and may even follow blindly to the point of dangerous
exhaustion. Informed choices must always be made regardless of gear,
companions, or anything else that you plan for, or don't.

My dream is to do a long hike with goats. I have three Nigerian
Dwarf's right now that love to go for long walks with me on my own
property, they follow me around like big dogs and browse on the things
that smell good to them. They are great companions in that being
raised from the age they were weened, they consider me their alpha
goat (I hope it's not due to how I smell? :-)  ). The dwarfs wouldn't
be good for a long hike, but some of the larger meat goat breeds would
be great. The major consideration would be to ensure they get all of
the things in their diet they need (copper is one thing they need that
they may not get from their food, especially in some areas) and they
get plenty of water. Man, they can drink a lot of water! Also, some
routine care items would be needed, but all could be hauled by the
goats. And yes, they could haul my (gun(s), ammo, cleaning and
lubrication supplies, rocket launchers, VBEIDs, and nuclear warheads)
much easier than I can (tongue in cheek, right?)

Besides, the dryer climate of CA and southern OR would be better for
their hooves than the amount of wet we get in SW WA.

Dan
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives"
Motorcycle to hike, hike to motorcycle