[pct-l] Pemmican

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 9 12:35:22 CST 2013

US Wellness Meats sells pre-made pemmican, but it melts at moderate
temperatures and is not fully dried. I wouldn't trust it out of
refrigeration for longer than a couple days. The packaging says to
keep frozen. As far as I know, they are the only company to mass-
produce pemmican. They've been talking about a shelf-stable version
for a very long time but I don't think they've come out with it yet.
Their meat processor does not have a grinder that can grind fully-
dried meat so they do not dry the jerky completely and that's why
it's not shelf-stable. It's wet and thus will spoil.

It really is not hard to make pemmican yourself. I really thought it
would be hard but it isn't. I use London broil when it's on sale at
Ralphs. It's a pretty big cut of beef that's cheap when on sale. I
cut it as thin as possible and trim as much fat as possible. I dry it
in the worst, cheapest dehydrator on the market until it's crispy. I
pulverize it in my ordinary household blender. Then pour in enough
melted beef tallow (purchased as tallow rather than rendering my own)
to have a consistency that will stick together. I've made it too dry,
I've made it too waxy. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of
difference. You can always melt it over again and add more tallow or
more meat if you get it wrong.

I guess Shroomer was really hungry by the Winds. I brought avocados
to the trail and they never got ripe so we ate them unripe and hard.
Not too bad, actually, but he made it sound like it was manna from
heaven.