[pct-l] Vegan Thru Hike?

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:23:54 CST 2013

Well, I'm a vegetarian hiker, and while I haven't done 2600 miles at a time
(yet), I have done 500 on two separate occasions.  Sadly I didn't lose a
pound either time, and I'm confident that my diet would carry me 2600 miles
if only I had the time for it.  Now being a vegetarian is quite
different nutritionally from being a vegan, but truly protein and fat
requirements are easily met with soy, dehydrated beans, and plenty of nuts.
I do occasionally throw in some cheese (off limit to vegans of course). I
pretty much pick a variety of REI vegetarian dehydrated veggie meals
(there's at least 10 options that I know of off the shelf) + Ramen and some
potato flakes and call it good for dinner.  Plenty of calories there for
me. For lunch, vegetarian jerquee (http://www.soybean.com/faq/snack.html)
is a favorite, plus peanut butter, nutella, dried fruit, bagels and candy
bars (probably why I don't lose weight, huh?).  If you have been a vegan
for some time, don't fear the PCT...you won't find many near-trail vegan
friendly restaurants, but General Delivery at the post office will be your
friend. Hey, if the greatest endurance athlete ever (in my opinion) can do
well vegan, so can you:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/one-on-one-with-scott-jurek/
<http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/one-on-one-with-scott-jurek/>

River