[pct-l] Vegan Thru Hike?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 10 09:24:53 CST 2013

I think the hardest part of being a vegetarian thru-hiker would have
to be the food fantasies you'll have about town food. If your food
fantasies are all about pancake sandwiches, ice cream, pizza and
cheeseburgers, you'll be tormenting yourself on the trail, slapping
yourself silly to stop such heathen fantasies. If your fantasies are
all about avocados and soy or hemp cheese, you're still going to have
to slap yourself to stop thinking about such delicacies. You'll come
into town starving and there won't be much to eat for you.

I did meet a vegetarian hiker at Drakesbad. Her food looked really
good. She dehydrated all her own food. Lentils and rice and Indian-
themed stuff like that. She probably slathered things in olive oil, I
didn't get a look at everything she ate.

A really interesting book I recommend is The Vegetarian Myth by
Lierre Keith. I do not support monocrops like corn, soy and wheat and
I choose to eat animals who don't eat those things, either.