[pct-l] Tuna Helper's 2012 Speed Record Attempt Blog and Photos

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Fri Jan 11 12:01:45 CST 2013

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:02:22 -0700
> From: Ryan Weidert <ryan.weidert at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Tuna Helper's 2012 Speed Record Attempt Blog and
> Photos
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Hello All,
>     It's been 6 months now since I got off trail near Crater Lake,
> but I've finally wrapped up all my PCT stuff from the hike last year.
> I managed 1864 miles in 42.5 days, and set new PCT Midpoint and
> California records, but the entire trail record still alluded me. On
> my attempt I took a great many photos and also kept an audio trail
> journal for every day. Because of this, and the nature of the hike I
> did, I wanted to share it with those who might be interested in such
> things. Thus, I created a trail journal style blog, where you can read
> the journal and or listen to the actual audio recording. Also
> available on the page are links to my full 500 photo PCT 2012 album, a
> link to download all of the audio journals, a like to download all of
> my GPS tracks and campsite waypoints and a variety of other related
> documents. It's been a while in the making and I'm happy it's almost
> done! Who knows if I'll attempt it again, but I know now that it is
> quite possible to exceed your own goals and nothing is out of reach!
>
> The First Post (use the right side dates/Posts to navigate through the
> site)
> http://www.pctspeed.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html
>
> 2012 Complete Photo Album
> https://plus.google.com/photos/113529152827233483970/albums/5804036552665873505
>

> GPS Tracks and Waypoints Download
> https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By2m6B0qS-XOSWdkOU1WVzRLOW8/edit
>
> PCT Documents - Gear List, Split times, Daily Mileage Log etc.
> https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By2m6B0qS-XObGs3WUFFUDh5TWc/edit
>
> The last post will go up today at 6:00pm MT, it's what my feet looked
> like 2 weeks after I got off trail. Yeah, you don't want your feet to
> look like that!
> If you find a link that doesn't work or a different problem, please
> let me know and I'll try and fit it!
>
> Hope you'll enjoy and share with others.
>

> Cheers,
> Ryan "Tuna Helper" Weidert.

Many thanks for the post. Especially enjoyed the photos and your sense of
photography. To manage a 44 mile/day average you had to start off flying,
ie, not like most with 12 mile days, ie, you were in shape. My question is:
how did you train or more importantly decide that you were in shape to have
at it?
again, thanks for the post - TheDuck