[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 13 12:51:44 CST 2013

>> Over the course of the hike, you ARE going to have to wash the bag, somewhere. I would suggest that a >>bag liner is not as useful as another item, a light jacket, sweater, or a set of long johns. I used one for a >>few trips many years ago, but found them less than good, except for sleeping.
>> The whole goal is to stay warm and keep the bag fairly clean. You can use a liner, but this only has a >>single purpose. You use it at night for sleeping. Unlike additional sweaters or long-johns, you cannot >>wear it during the day, nor at night when you need to visit the head. It *will* let use the liner alone on hot >>nights. It will also keep the bag a slight bit cleaner by not using the bag on these nights...sleeping on it is >>not really considered. It is another piece of gear that needs washing on the trail.

Bill,

My experience differs from jdm27's.  I use a silk liner with my heavier bag (WM 25 *) and my lighter summer bag (WM 45 *, 1 lb, 1 oz).  It definitely adds to the warmth factor - alone it can keep you warm for much of the night in summer.  It definitely keeps the bag cleaner and less smelly.  Also, wiping sweat and dirt off your body before you get in helps a lot, too.  Airing your bag out (inside out) at rest stops and lunch will dissipate odors and moisture as well.  I do not agree that a bag HAS TO BE washed at some point in a thru hike.  I had to wash mine after thru-hiking the AT, but I did not use a silk liner on that hike.

The silk liner also make a great laundry bag in town, so it's not quite "single purpose".

I recommend using one.  I also recommend reinforcing the seams before you start, if you have access to a sewing machine.

Have a great hike.

Mango