[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 12:53:39 CST 2013

Hey Bill,

I bought a Cocoon silk liner this year to use with my Mountain Hardware 32 degree bag. After a few week-long trips using the liner I've decided that it's kind of a pain and far better to just sleep in your long underwear (merino wool or poly but I love the merino best).

The liner tends to get tangled and twisted up around me during the night, but maybe that's because I'm kind of a restless sleeper. The liner weighs about 4 ounces, if I remember correctly and that would go a long way toward a nice lightweight pair of multi-use underwear.

As far as the 30 degree bag goes, when the temp is actually down into the lower 30's and upper 20's, I found that I needed to sleep with my fleece pants, puffy jacket and hat, but I do sleep colder in my old age. Maybe more carbs before sleeping would help.

A very nice thing about my Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 bag is that it stuffs down into its tiny stuff sack, the size of nalgene bottle (well, almost).

Randy