[pct-l] Fuel Usage - Vargo Triad

Chris Pratt chrispratt89 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:03:29 CST 2013

DZ,

I use an pepsi can penny alcohol stove (use yellow heat) and carry 3 or
4 esbit tablets for emergencies (even when I go stoveless). Genarally
speaking 1 ounce of alcohol will boil 2 cups of water. For certain
things (oatmeal for instance) you don't actually have to boil water,
also I use a cozy that fits around my titanium pot and eat out of a
plastic cup with a lid with a can cozy around it to keep hot drinks or
oatmeal hot on cold mornings.  So I budget 1 ounce a day for cooking per
person per meal.  It varies, so in the mountains on cold mornings it
takes more to get your water hot. Also I eat my dinner earlier in the
day (while the sun is up) to keep from sitting around on cold rocks
cooking dinner.

P.S. having a windscreen like a is very important when using a alcohol
stove.  One of the designs that hold your pot also works great...

so, YHHV, HYOH, Blah, blah blah....

Chris