[pct-l] Reality Check on Craig's PCT Planner

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Mon Jan 14 11:43:20 CST 2013

Big Toe is right on with the hours per day.

I have a funny story about planning our 2005 hike of the ADT. I took data
from the ADT and put it into a huge spreadsheet (roughly based on Craig's
PCT Planner). I wanted to be realistic so I looked at each small segment. If
it was flat or a roadwalk I said we would walk 3 mph. Uphill or trails were
more like 2 or 2.25 mph. Since we live in CA we started at Pt Reyes. We
crossed the sierra early in our hike so we couldn't start until about
mid-May.

When I ran the first estimate I didn't like the results. We would finish
early 2006. More toying around with the estimates only got us to the
Atlantic in January. We didn't think we wanted to finish on the east coast
in winter. I flipped my spreadsheet to start March 1 at the Atlantic.

My first reaction was something was wrong with my spreadsheet when I flipped
it. It now had us finishing in mid-Oct. The trip started earlier, but was
many weeks shorter! Further analysis showed it was the long hours of summer
daylight while crossing flat Kansas that had the greatest impact on our
schedule.

This schedule had us hitting the Rockies in early July (after snowmelt) and
the sierra in early September (before snowfall). Perfect!

By the way, we almost kept that schedule while hiking 5000 miles. We were 4
days late. Funnily the biggest impact on our schedule was the thunderstorms
in Kansas that shortened many of our hiking days. But we made up time in
Utah and Nevada where there was no place to stop to socialize or get a cold
drink.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com