[pct-l] 2012 thru-hike completion percentages

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:56:55 CST 2013

mtnned wrote:

> [...]

Follow the link below to see a list of folks who say they completed
the PCT last year:

http://pcta.org/about_trail/miler_list/

I loaded the 2012 list into a spreadsheet and came up with 315 names.
There are one or two duplicates in there.

Now, let's say that number includes 50 section hikers who finished the
trail.  That would leave 265 thru's.

Let's assume there are 10 ego-less souls who required neither a hockey
puck nor a piece of paper, weren't aware of the listing, or otherwise
managed to not get on the list, now we're up to 275 thru's.

Now let's compare that to the number of  2012 KO attendees who
self-identified as 2012 thru-hikers:

http://siechert.org/adz/2012/registered_attendees.htm

276 thru's signed up for KO.  So 276-275 = 1.  Only one attemptee
failed to complete the trail!!!  Who is that person???

But to be serious, let's say one third of all 2012 thru-hikers did not
sign up for the KO.   That would imply 2/3 of the class finished.

I know there was talk of something like 700 permits issued, so maybe
my estimate of KO non-attendees is low, but I don't think so.  And I
think my estimate of section hiker completions may be generous.

Most likely the 2011 completion rate was lower, given the extreme
differences in snow challenges.  Hmm...I think I'll take a look.