[pct-l] Reality Check on Craig's PCT Planner

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 14 19:29:14 CST 2013

I agree with Big Toe and Ken.

Before I hiked the PCT I used Craig's PCT Planner plus I also hedged
my guess with the knowledge that never in my life had I ever hiked
more than 16 miles in a day without severe debilitating pain by the
end. The reality turned out so much different for this old lady.

1. You do not need to hike fast to go far. Hours hiked is more
meaningful than pace. My pace was 2.5 which is considerably less than
when I day hike.

2. I started at around 15 miles a day. Within a few weeks I was
easily doing around 20-23 miles a day. Kept that up to the Sierras
when my longest day was 19. Once beyond Sonora Pass I was hiking
26-28 miles a day. Once beyond Castle Crags I thought perhaps 30
miles was more a psychological than a physical barrier so I psyched
myself into doing it and was able to do a 35 mile day. After that I
regularly did days in the 28-32 mile mark, but two or more 30+ mile
days in a row beat me up. Don't underestimate yourself. Don't fall
for the "when we get to Oregon we can do 30 mile days" trap, either.
The trail is as easy as it's going to get starting somewhere in Nor
Cal and pretty much stays that way.

3. Long hours of sunlight. In the height of summer I'd do some 14+
hour hiking days no problem. What else is there to do?

4. Long hours of sunlight II: The days are longer up north. You hike
fast enough to follow those long days and get a really long summer of
light that way. At least for a while.