[pct-l] Beginning in March

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Tue Jan 15 14:06:44 CST 2013

Nikki,

1. Mid-March is an early start, even in the desert SoCal might very well be cold, wet and windy. Don't be under prepared for that possibility. Of course, it could also be day after day of mild weather too! The San Jacintos will still be covered in snow and an ice chute is likely to reside at Antsell Rock. Finally Fuller Ridge might offer some icy situations as well. All of this can be handled with the appropriate experience and gear mind you, I just want you to be aware. You'll also run into snow as you pass through the traverse range, a lot if it's a big snow year. So in short, I'm not sure I would recommend a 30+ bag for SoCal if you are starting mid-March.

2. How much water to carry really depends on the weather and the distance between water sources. Although no one should rely on water caches, you certainly should figure that they aren't stocked yet and plan accordingly. You also might find that AsABat's Water Report may not be very helpful yet as you'd be among the first to leave reports. On the other hand, more of the seasonal sources might be running. So I guess what I am saying is that you should probably have the capability to carry a lot using something like Platypus bags in addition to a couple of 1L bottles. If it were me, I'd probably carry a couple of 2.5L Platys rolled up in the pack for the hot and/or long stretches.

3. Carry a very small bottle of hand sanitizer along with your soap, use it often as you are more likely to get sick from your hands than the water. Leave toilet paper at home and learn the backwoods bidet. I cannot personally vouch for menstrual cups but a lot of long distance hiker women favor them.

BigToe