[pct-l] Beginning in March

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:52:22 CST 2013

Nikki wrote:

Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate your feedback and will take your
advice! I should have mentioned that I'm just doing a little bit more than
Section A at that time because I'm a teacher in a year-round school, so if I
don't go on my two week spring break, I'll have to start in mid-June, and
have only four weeks, which I fear will be too hot in the desert, although
Shroomer gives me hope that maybe it's be better to do it then!

Oh, that's different!  Section A by itself should normally be doable in
March.  It may be cold, rainy, or even snowy, but IIRC there's nothing in
section A or the beginning of B that should put you into mountaineering
conditions.  The Lagunas sometimes get snow but the terrain isn't unusually
dangerous.  The first difficult section would be the San Jacintos.

I agree with Shroomer that section hiking is way better than no hiking.
I've been section hiking for 11 years now, doing 100 to 160 miles per trip
once a year, and I'm about halfway done with the whole trail.  It's awesome!

Eric