[pct-l] Best Practices

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 15 19:48:52 CST 2013

On Jan 15, 2013, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Scott Bryce <sbryce at scottbryce.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Best Practices
>
> On 1/14/2013 11:00 AM, Ned Tibbits wrote:
>> Yet, we still come back to the percentages. The PCT completion rate
>> is about 30%.
>
> I think it is closer to 50% now.
>
>> Is it because of their experiences in the snowy sierra?
>
> Probably not, since the bulk of them drop out long before that.

And a lot drop out after that in So Lake Tahoe or thereabouts,
usually not related to snow.

> pushing through by shear will

Wow, that's quite a bit of hyperbole there. Even with my utter lack
of snow capabilities, it was less the snow itself that bothered me
and more the mental thing about trying to find your way around a
soggy trail, or over hummocky snow mounds and then play find the
trail on the other side. That mental thing of always having to
concentrate on the trail is worse than the actual snow itself.

Really, the creek crossings are worse than the snow.