[pct-l] Beginning in March

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 16 08:57:59 CST 2013

I kept myself clean just wetting a bandana and washing my legs and
feet that way. You only need about half a cup of water. Please
whatever you do, do NOT use the water tanks to wash yourself off.
This is unbelievably rude.

To clean my pot I scraped it with my spoon and rinse water and drank
the rinse water.

As for toilet paper, I used a small squeeze bottle filled with water
and just hosed myself down rather than use TP after number 1. I did
the same for number 2 (plus used natural materials) but most people
will refuse to do that. I also made a Lady J-like device out of a
Wishbone salad dressing bottle so I could pee standing up in the rain
or mosquitoes.

I carried 5 liters capacity on my first hike through the desert. When
I came back a second time I realized that this was too much because I
never ever came close to drinking it all. So I brought 3 liters and
that worked fine for me. I had really hot temps the first time and
really cool temps the second time. I'm from Southern California, I'm
used to the climate, I'm not afraid to be thirsty, I don't believe
that being thirsty means anything stupid like you're already too
dehydrated or any of that other conventional bull-crap meant to sell
sports drinks.

I brought diet lemonade powder so that I could force a liter of water
into me at any water source. That's a liter I wouldn't need to carry,
and since I might already be a little thirsty, it was usually
welcomed. And no, I never just peed it all out.