[pct-l] Mosquitos and Tyvek

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 16 09:54:35 CST 2013

Good morning, Tracy,

The problem with Tyvek is not so much where to find it, it’s where to find
it in a small quantity.  It’s typically sold in huge rolls to wrap
houses.  Some
outdoor suppliers buy a roll, and then sell it off in usable pieces.  I’ve
bought such pieces at outdoor shows, from eBay, and from outdoor fabric
suppliers.

One good way to get some – probably free – is to find some homes under
construction and being wrapped.  Carpenters usually whack off short ends
and throw them away.  Hikers often ask to salvage these pieces, or the
carpenters may just cut a 2-foot piece off a roll and give it away.

Most often the construction material is hugely printed with TYVEK HOUSE
WARP, but usually the same stuff from outdoor suppliers is not  marked.

The stuff is really crinkly when new, which annoys me, so I like to give it
a trip or two through the washer and dryer before I use it.  That makes it
soft and quiet.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/