[pct-l] PCT traffic and solar panels

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 11:47:49 CST 2013

Hello James,

I have ridden the PCT from Mexico to Canada now. It has taken for seasons. I did the JMT part, that I had missed due to snow during another season, in 2012. I brought a SPOT satellite messinger and sent my wife and others an "I'm OK" message every night when I reached camp. This gave her peace of mind. In my experience, the device was very reliable - all of my messages got through. You have to use it properly and be sure you have some clear sky above. I could tell when my message went out successfully. The new generation SPOT and also the one made by DeLorme, also allows you to send a brief text message when connected to the right kind of cell phone. I understand that, with the DeLorme,you can also receive.

Have a great hike.

MendoRider-Hiker