[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarp Tent

Kelsey Bowen kelsey.anne.bowen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:50:14 CST 2013

Hello all,

First post here, although I've read a fair share of great advice!

I'm looking to narrow down on my shelter of choice so I can plan my
clothing and sleep systems accordingly.  I've been thinking I would use a
HS Tarp Tent Contrail.  But recently the idea of just using a plain old
tarp has been crossing my mind.

I would like to hear opinions from people who really prefer one or the
other, especially if you have used both.

My current thoughts on the subject:

The weight/versatility advantages of a tarp may be negligible when I would
need to bring every variation for at least most of the trail (tarp, bug
nest, bivy...).  Whereas, on a shorter trip there is an advantage of being
able to leave the bug nest home, for example.

I've heard and read about condensation issues with tarp tents and I'm
curious if anyone has experienced this in PCT conditions specifically.  The
open air feel of a tarp is really a plus (in my imagination, because I have
not used one).

I also have no experience with tarp systems and would need to learn how to
use them well.  But this is doable, because I plan to hike 2014.

Thanks!

Kelsey