[pct-l] Stoves, stoves and more stoves....

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 11:23:15 CST 2013

It is my understanding that if an alcohol stove has a shut-off valve it would be legal - just as canister stoves are. The ability to shut off  the flame is the deciding criteria. Can the size of the flame be reduced with the shut off "mechanism" so you can simmer? I found that being able to reduce the flame with my Jetboil was very desirable when cooking on the trail. That stove was very fuel efficient. I could cook two meals a day for six or seven days with a canister that weighed 13 ounces. There is also a smaller canister - I'm not sure of its weight. I think it might weigh seven ounces. I wonder how much alcohol would weigh to cook much as a 13 ounce canister. I think that the propane burns hotter than alcohol, especially at the higher elevations. I also liked the push-button spark way to ignite the flame.

The above are just my thoughts and opinions. I have never used an alcohol stove.

MendoRider-Hiker