[pct-l] Burn Bans

belcherjd at juno.com belcherjd at juno.com
Fri Jan 18 15:56:52 CST 2013

First I'd want it know that I'm an alcohol stove use and have currently about 25 in many different configurations .... I go with my super cat stove most of the time.

I been following in burn ban posts and find most of the info being given out is hearsay.
So, I put together some exerts of 2012 news bulletins.
Yes, these are from Washington State but both CA and OR had very similar bans with WA (I think) being the only one with a smoking ban in effect. All were banning any stove, fire pit, or BBQ that could possibly tip over and spill fuel. Any container type stove that when tipped on it's side or turn over was banned. In WA this order was issued by Gov Gregoire sometime in mid July and superseded all previous bans in the state. Soon after the wilderness areas were also brought under the bans which I think was a first.

If you believe in global warming then you believe it is only going to get worse .... be prepared.
This year I'm planning on carrying a Jetboil instead of alcohol that will probably get banned sometime during the summer. Good or Bad...I don't know.

7/12/12  - http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/News/Pages/2012_05_07_burnban_nr.aspx
The restriction applies to all open fires including the use of briquettes. Designated or developed campgrounds are exempt from this order, as are some other special sites such as group camps and summer homes under permit. Please visit or call the appropriate ranger station to obtain information on these sites. Pressurized liquid gas stoves or an enclosed solid fuel fire using a wick are also exempt from this order.

+++++++++++
8/2/12  -  NBC News
restrictions in the Naches and Cle Elum ranger districts:
The campfire bans will go into effect August 3. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, briquette fire, or other methods except a pressurized liquid gas stove are prohibited.

++++++++++
http://www.nps.gov/noca/parknews/open-fire-ban-in-the-north-cascades.htm
Date: September 7, 2006
Open Fire Ban
NO OPEN FIRES ALLOWED in
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
Or North Cascades National Park Complex
Mountlake Terrace, WA -- Effective Midnight, Thursday, September 07, 2006, all open fires, including campfires in campgrounds, are banned in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest and the North Cascades National Park Complex.
Campers can use pressurized-gas and liquid-fuel camp stoves and lanterns in designated campgrounds and picnic areas, and in wilderness areas. Wood or charcoal briquette fires are not allowed in any kind of fire pan or barbeque device.
There is currently a ban on open fires that allows campfires in designated campgrounds. This new order bans campfires in campgrounds.
++++++++
the state Department of Natural Resources has a statewide burn ban in effect through Sept.30.
Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/09/23/2306981/burn-ban-remains-in-effect-statewide.html#storylink=cpy
Open campfires and smoking are banned.

10/17/12  -  Lake Chelan Mirror
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest managers are continuing a campfire ban on all national forest lands
..
This includes developed campgrounds, wilderness areas, and sites such as group camps and summer homes.

Jon (Gandalf - PCT class of 2013)
Marysville WA

Follow my pct hike on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/GandalfPCT2013