[pct-l] (no subject)

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 16:04:50 CST 2013

Hi Jim,

That's interesting information. Thanks.  I never knew that propane has about twice as many BTU's/ pound as alcohol. I also didn't know the ratio of fuel weight to the weight of the metal canister. I brought the larger (13 oz.) canisters and assume that the ratio of propane to metal would be higher for the fuel. The reason that I could cook two meals per day for a week was that I usually turned the valve down to less than full flame - that way there was less heat loss outside the utensil. I could turn the valve even lower to simmer. I sometimes also brought the smaller 7 oz. canister and rarely needed to use it - I still have the original, and it's still about half full after six months (four seasons) on the PCT.

I should point out that the proper way to dispose of a canister is to completely drain it of propane. This can be accomplished by turning on the valve and not lighting it. Then you must carry the empty canister out.

MendoRider-Hiker