[pct-l] pct section hiker question

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 19:36:34 CST 2013

I solo hiked the PCT in 2011.  I had a relatively late start (May 26th).  I didn't see many people hiking on the trail, but in all honesty I really didn't feel alone.  I found the trail logs to be very helpful (there is one at the southern terminus and others pop up here and there); you will get a sense of who is a few hours, days, or weeks ahead of you. The trail logs motivated me to keep movin on, they gave me a sense of belonging, and there was a sense of safety in knowing that others would be able to narrow down my location if need be. I don't know what direction you will be coming from, but I stopped and read the trail log at the Paradise Cafe (Hwy 74)  before heading to the southern terminus; it is a good place to meet other PCT hikers.
I think it is a bit hard to predict, but I suspect that you will run into the most hikers in your third and forth week.  Most of my "hiker contact" happened during my resupply stops (at the laundramat, restaurants, post office).  I met my first thru hikers at the Big Bear Hostel and many more at the Cajon Pass McDonalds.  I ran into quite a few day hikers in the the Big Bear area.  Agua Dulce was "backpackers central" and one of my favorite resting places. I don't know your hiking style, but I think it is safe to say that if you respect and listen to your body you will be hikng distances that will blow your mind, by the end of the month ....
You live in the desert, so you already know: camel up at water sources, carry more than enough water to get from a certain water source to certain water source, don't expect water caches to be fully stocked, bless the "angels" when they are; change your socks often, clean your feet and your socks  every chance you get, elevate your feet (while sleeping and when taking breaks).  I made a point not to cook in southern California, out of respect for the fact that it is often times a tinder box. I got used to going "no cook" and ended up dumping my stove.  Not sure what you have decided about water treatment, Aqua Mira worked well for me. Be prepared to pick hundreds of pickers and seeds out of your tennis shoes (lightweight gaters help a bit).
"Weather" can occur from time to time.  I hit major wind/rain storms in the Laguna Mountains, at Scissors Crossing, and also Cajon Pass.  I didn't hit any other rain till the Sierra thunderstorms.  You will experience a fair amount of wind.  For whatever reason, I found hiking in the gusty blustering wind to be a bizarre and somewhat comical experience; its like riding a roller coaster hour after hour, day after day.  In southern California, you can either curse the wind or thank it for the memories. I heard that in the 1970s the wind completely stopped and every single backpacker tipped over ...
I hit a storm after the infamous "3rd Gate" water cache and it was unbelievable how nasty one side of the moutain could be and then you cross over to the other side and it was completely calm. Do beware of space ship looking clouds.  I learned (the hard way) that "lenticular" clouds make great photos, but they pack a whallup ...
I ended up covering my body completely, even my hands (I don't like using sunscreen or bug dope).  I carried a mylar umbrella for the first couple hundred miles (such a pain in the ass when it was windy, or while hiking through chaperal).  Speaking of chaperal, there are a few bastard bushes that will try to steal your gear, so pay attention to what you have hanging outside of your pack. I ended up in a whopper of a storm in the Laguna Mountains and ended up losing one of my hiking poles, my extra pair of hiking socks, and my hat.  Soooo glad I had a spare bandana to cover my balding head going through Scissors Crossing.  I was a novice backpacker and it had never occured to me that one could lose major pieces of gear.
Never in a million years did I think I would ever see my gear again, but my hat and hiking pole were returned to me 100s of miles down the trail.  Throughout the summer, I found lots of gear and it sort of became a game for me, trying to find the owner and looking forward to seeing their face when I return their gear .....
I trust that you will have a blast ... thanks for asking about southern Cal ... sort of sent me down memory lane ...
Dan (711)