[pct-l] wheeled backpack

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 22:13:43 CST 2013

Wheels are not allowed on the PCT.  It is for foot and hoof travel. There are lots of trails where wheels are allowed, including parts of the Colorado Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. The PCT is special. Mountain Bikes aren't allowed either.

Here's another solution: I think that it would be a lot harder for your son to pull that thing on the trail than it would be for him to just hike - without carrying or pulling any kind of "backpack".  So, I suggest using a pack animal to carry the load - a mule, a llama, a donkey. I met one woman north of Donahue Pass who carried her llama in the back of her Minivan. She actually had two in there. I have a picture of that. If you want to see it let me know and I will send it to you. I also have a picture of a hiker who used a mule on the PCT to carry his supplies. An advantage of using a llama is that you might not need a trailer.

MendoRider-Hiker