[pct-l] Tent vs Tarp Tent

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 21 15:37:00 CST 2013

For a long time I didn't have a tent and used a blue tarp from K-
mart. There aren't big ants in the Los Padres forest, so as long as
it was not fly season, the tarp was great. In fly season I used a bed-
top mosquito net. I've been a dirtbagger cheapskate most of my hiking
career.

I actually really like tarp camping a lot and I am not bothered by
the curious long-legged spiders we get in winter. They only come by
wanting to see what all my stuff is about. I do not like the curious
giant ants. They want to come see what my body is all about. I can
tolerate them almost enough to take a nap, but they seem to want to
explore my ears or they get inside my pants and that always wakes me up.