[pct-l] Mountain axes

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jan 22 10:53:40 CST 2013

Hi, Luke!

Many of our students bring to class the CAMP Corsa and it performs
marginally well for all the things we teach people how to do, like
self-arrest, steep, anchored traverses, chopping steps, and maintaining your
balance. The problem we have with it, or at least those our students have
brought with them, is they are hollow, don't have the right kind of
functional and practical shaft point, and are way too short for secure
self-arrest technique.

Now the manufacturer says,

"The lightest ice axe in the world! The clean design provides amazing
performance especially considering how little it weighs. Perfect for
low-angle glacier travel, ski mountaineering and adventure racing. The
7075-T6 aluminum alloy head and shaft meet all CE and UIAA requirements for
strength and durability. However, the Corsa is not recommended for ice
climbing, rugged mixed terrain, or for intense step chipping."

Let's take a look at each of these comments as they relate to a thru hike of
the PCT:
- lightest: good
- clean design: good and functional
- low-angle glacier travel: meaning relatively flat (not what the PCT
becomes where you'll need and axe in hand)
- ski mountaineering: good
- adventure racing: certainly could apply as long as the terrain remains
low-angle
- certified for strength and durability: a must
- not recommended for mixed terrain: the PCT is very much this through the
sierra, at least
- not recommended for intense step chipping: depending on when you enter the
sierra or the route you select to traverse, ascend, or descend a steep,
hard-surfaced spot, you may have to do more of this than you realize. Let's
talk more about this...

Because it is so lightweight, it is a good choice for those who will be
carrying it most of the time. For those times where you really need it as
the tool it is, to self-arrest, a belay anchor on a steep traverse or
straight up to a Pass, or to chop steps when the going gets slippery, it is
durable to a point and a little tough on the hands.

Case in point: We teach practical, applicable, and functional backcountry
skills to equip snow-hikers desiring to maximize their wisdom and safety in
the backcountry. We've been doing this for 31 years, now. We offer an annual
"First-In," two-week snow-hiking course along the PCT from Kennedy Meadows
(south) up and over Forester Pass and out Kearsarge Pass to teach the skills
necessary to identify the risks of snow-hiking exactly in the terrain thru
hikers want to know about. This course is perfect for folks just entering
their planning stages who are desiring to thru hike the Crest next year.
Nothing like finding out exactly what it's like out there and learning how
to get through it with ease!

Two years ago we filmed all the tough spots along the trail while under
snow, all the big passes and nasty creek crossings. While ascending
Forester, since we were the first across its steep and nasty chute right
below the pass for the season, we had to chop foot-buckets in the
ice-traverse below the cornice above just to get across on the trail. This
distance is only 50 feet. It took me something like an hour and a half to
get across! Lots of chopping, balancing, and constant concern for my balance
(the fall will kill you). If anyone is interested in the details of this
crossing, just email back.

So, the point of all this is to chose an axe that fits you and what you
expect to do with it. If you don't know what the "Realities of the Trail"
will be or how you can deal with them, you'll make, perhaps, less than
adequate choices which you will not realize until using them and, then, you
will be far from help and compromised.

Food for thought. Certainly, many have cruised through the sierra during
"early" or "thru-hiker" season with the companionship of others nearby and
have done well enough to come out the other end. We just feel that it only
adds to your personal confidence and security if you know what the Realities
of the Trail are before you're on your own (or amidst others who really
don't know much, either) and have practiced using those skills a few times
before in similar conditions.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org