[pct-l] Solo Female - Leaving Boyfriend At Home

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Tue Jan 22 12:23:56 CST 2013

I am now married to the boyfriend who didn't/doesn't want to backpack
with me. All the time we've been together he has know that is important
to me and supported me in doing it. I have not thru-hiked the trail yet
but I know he's going to be okay with it when I do. Will he be sad that
I won't be around for a few months... I hope so!!! We will just keep
in-touch as much as possible and I got a SPOT that I carry so he can
track me. That has helped immensely because he was very worried for me
being out there on my own. Now he can log-in to the website and see I am
making forward progress. So either my SPOT is in a bear's stomach and
they are moving or I am moving. :-P I just started section hiking last
year because I don't see a thru happening anytime soon, I can tell you
one thing A LOT gets done around the house while I'm gone. :-)

This may not be a popular opinion and is a bit more of "counseling
speech" than trail talk, but I'll put it out there anyway. The real
thing to consider with a boyfriend, or even a spouse... if they aren't
going to support you in your dreams and you aren't going to support them
in theirs, then is this really the person for you? If you are planning
on one day marrying your boyfriend and he cannot handle this situation
then perhaps this isn't the person to go through life with. Having a
boyfriend/girlfriend is usually to discern who you want to go through
your life with. Being wildly in love is not enough. Fun and exciting
though. If your boyfriend wanted to fulfill a dream that you weren't
interested in doing with him, would you be supportive in letting him go
and do it and happily being his support at home? If the answer is yes,
and his answer is yes, then that support and commitment to each other
will help carry you through the tough times of no contact and missing
each other.

Okay... I'm off THAT soap box...

Happy planning and I hope it all works out for you.
Puddles