[pct-l] help with layers of clothing

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 13:51:46 CST 2013

Hi Bill,

In the mountains of Washington, The chances of your down jacket getting wet can be pretty high at times. I love my down jacket, but mostly use it in drier climates. The humidity alone, after may days of rain can decrease the loft in your jacket.

I had been relying solely on my Patagonia Nano Puff (poly fill) as my summer weight jacket for the Cascades, with my merino or fleece shirt underneath when needed. Then, late last August while doing an 8 day hike in the Central Cascades, partly on the PCT, The weather became unseasonably cold and stormy for a few days. The Nano Puff was not enough insulation for me, especially when I was tired or around camp in morning and evening. I just wasn't able to put on enough layers to keep me warm.

Later, in October of last year, I was on another multi-day hike in the North Cascades and this time used my Mountain Hard Wear, hooded Compressor Jacket. It's a lightweight poly fill alpinist jacketthat is much warmer than the Nano Puff, but still stuffs down to a very packable size. It weights a few ounces more but I was totally cozy in sub-freezing weather. I even laid out at night on my pad, reading while it was in the upper 20s and was still warm enough.

Everyone has a different temperature comfort range and maybe I just get cold more easily. But IMHO, I would still hesitate to bring a down jacket on a long trip in potentially wet weather, but I'm sure there are opinions to the contrary.

Randy