[pct-l] Oregon

Aaron Nicholson aaronjamesnicholson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:14:02 CST 2013

I did Oregon in 2010 starting in early July.  If it's a late snow year
there actually is a fair amount of snow navigation to be done in the
Siskiyous, at Devil's Peak just south of Crater Lake, along the western
slopes of the Three Sisters, and south of Mt. Jefferson near Cathedral
Rocks.  (Mt. Hood is a possibility, too, but the snow should be gone as
it's near the tail-end of your trip).  Not as crazy as the Sierras of
course but don't underestimate these areas if there is late snow.
Depending on snow conditions you might consider pushing your trip back if
possible.  In early July 2012 I scouted my adopted section of the PCT (near
Irish Mountain, north a bit from Willamette Pass) and much of it was still
covered in snow.  Most of my ~10-mile section is 5500 - 6000 feet in
elevation...

Aaron