[pct-l] Pack base weight

Luke Kantola lkantola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:48:11 CST 2013

I am a 6'4" hiker also, so I know how hard it can be to find the right gear
at a light weight and price.

Plenty of hikers have thru-hiked with base weights of over 20 lbs.

See this video of tequila jack's pack. I think his base weight was
something like 20 lbs. He doesn't necessarily use the cheapest gear or even
have a light weight mentality, but he did complete the trail so it shows it
is possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsiUniLgVWk

Your big three are the best items to cut weight on (pack, sleeping bag,
tent), and a light weight version can be acheived for about 200-250 dollars
for each item.

Here are some recommendations for cheap(er) light weight gear:

Enlightened Equipment offers quilts made from material seconds that aren't
visually up to spec for some manufacturers. A long wide 20 degree quilt is
$230 and only weighs 26 oz.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-20/

The ULA circuit is a solid pack that can carry heavier weights if need be,
and it weighs only 38 oz with everything included. 225$

The Tarp Tent Contrail works well even for taller hikers (I've personally
tested it) and it weighs about 27 oz seam sealed with the included stakes
and guy lines. 225$

For a sleeping pad, nothing will beat a ridge rest for weight and cost. The
small is 20"x48" and only weighs 9 oz and is only 20$!! But you are a
bigger hiker so you may prefer to do what I did and cut down a large Ridge
Rest from 25"x78" to 25"x50". This pad costs about 60$ I think, and weighs
11.3 oz. on my scale.

Those 4 items cost 740$ all together, which sounds steep, but you can pick
and choose, and realize that these 4 items would together weigh 6.3 lbs.
which gives you plenty of room for heavier cheaper gear for your other
choices.

Maybe your research has already made you rule out these gear choices. If
so, that's okay. A heavy pack won't end your trip as long as you are
dedicated to the trip. You'll be fine at a higher weight.

Good Luck! Take Care!