[pct-l] Washington Trails Association PCT Work Parties Posted

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 11:17:56 CST 2013

All

For those interested in joining a WTA trail work party on the Pacific Crest Trail this coming summer, they've posted a preview of their Volunteer Vacations and Backcountry Response Team trips.  There are at least 5 on the PCT that I could identify.

June 24-29 Agnes Creek Logout (south of Stehekin). This is a strenious BCRT trip to log out winter blow down using old school cross cut saws in the Wilderness.
August 3 - 10 White Pass (near Glacier Peak) - volunteer vacation. The description says they'll pack in EVERYTHING except the shirt on your back.
August 8-11 Trails north of White Pass (the Highway 12 White Pass) - this BCRT will log out the PCT north from White Pass and then loop back on other trails, sawing as you go.
August 10-17 at Pear Lake - Volunteer Vacation. I love this lake and the surrounding area. Great scenery to enjoy on your day off. This lake is a great campsite on the first night north from Stevens Pass on your thru hike.
August 31 - Sept 7 at Deep Lake - Volunteer Vacation in the stunning Alpine Lakes Wilderness. About 2 trail days north of Snoqualmie Pass, you'll approach from a trail head to the east so your hike in will be a lot shorter than the thru hikers have to do to get to this spot. And this is prime thru hiker season at this spot as well - the leading parts of the herd will be passing through this area during this work party.

They show as "full" currently, but that's just because they're not open for sign up yet.  Sign up opens at 10am Pacific Standard time on February 4th.  The most popular trips will fill up fast, so if you see a trip you like, sign up for it.

Go to www.wta.org and click on the "volunteer" tab along the bar on the upper part of the page then go to "volunteer work parties" from the drop down to get their full list.

When I'm not volunteering with the PCTA, I volunteer with WTA and I can state from first hand experience that they are an excellent organization and I highly recommend their program.  Of course, I'd like it if folks would ALSO join our PCTA crew in the area as well....but hey, I'll be happy no matter the crew so long as folks get out there and take care of the PCT.