[pct-l] Pack base weight

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:06:28 CST 2013

UBSeRiOuS wrote:

Sorry to pop in and be nosey but I'm really curious...if your base weight is
20lbs plus than with 4 liters of water minimum, average 5 days of food and
fuel isn't that pushing 35pounds plus???  Which seems like trail torture
guys!  I'm 6'2 and thru hiking the pct and I'd wouldn't consider hiking it
at that weight and this is my first attempt.  Your trail names must be
mountain yaks ;) UBSeRiOuS

Well, a 20 lb base is not as nice as a lighter base weight, but it's not
horrible and compared to what was considered normal 20 years ago it's
downright comfy.  Lots of people have completed a thru-hike with a heavy
pack.  For some, even hiking with a heavy pack is better than not hiking and
if those are your only two choices, well . . . you do what you gotta do.

That said, there are probably ways to attack base weight even if you're on a
tight budget.  Some things get more expensive as they get lighter (sleeping
bags) while others can be cheaper or even free (soda can alcohol stove).  It
might take some scrounging, deal shopping, and time, but there's a lot that
can be done on a budget.  For instance, instead of buying a fancy tarptent
you could purchase some silnylon fabfic, borrow a sewing machine from a
friend, and make your own tarp.  The materials alone are still going to be a
significant investment but probably not as much as buying a finished
product.  There's the value of your time to consider, too, but if you've got
more time than money, it can be a good way to go.

Eric